Thursday, July 24, 2008

Remembering Normal

Last week was fun. Drew and I were blessed with the opportunity to spend a week and a half in beautiful northern Virginia with my brother and his wife. We went so Drew could work, which he did, and I played. I am stopping the sentence there for emphasis... I got to play!
For those of you stumbling upon our humble blog you may not understand that this is really an impressive feat for me. For five years now I have been seeking healing & answers for unexplained bouts of dizziness & migraines that have progressively gotten more frequent. This past year I have had to pass on work opportunities because my health has been so unpredictable and debilitating. There have been other weeks when I have felt good and actually some in which I've felt better, but how kind of God to give me a week of good health while visiting my family!
Overall, I think I might be getting better... my doctor seems to have found a migraine medication that is helping, despite some annoying side effects. I am going to an acupuncture/massage therapist every few weeks. And, for good measure, while I have been too tired to cook [meaning about 300 of the last 365 days], 'Chef' Drew has prescribed a nearly organic diet [migraine diet]. (Have I mentioned how great my husband is? He is truly amazing!)
Oh, so, what did I play? Well, I played Wii, mostly Wii Fit, but also Mario Kart, although too much did make me a bit dizzy. While Drew wasn't working we both played tourist. We went to Mount Vernon and a Smithsonian exhibition on Jim Henson & the Muppets. We went to the Library of Congress and ate lunch on the roof of my brother's office which overlooks the White House. [the snipers weren't on the roof so we assumed Bush wasn't home] I also played softball! I didn't do anything that will get me a MLB contract, but I still ran and stood up for two hours! I even went to a jazz concert for a picnic dinner with my brother/sister-in-law and another lovely couple in the sculpture garden. What a great week to remind me that I may have sat on my sofa for most of the past year, but I still have the ability to carry on a conversation, play, and recognize God's kindness in my life.

K

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Michael and I spent 45 mins is Toys r Us playing guitar hero the other day! Boy are video games fun or what? It is good to here you had a GREAT week and I am so glad I have a blog friend now.