Saturday, December 13, 2008

Casserole

So back the week before thanksgiving I decided to try my hand at making Chicken Pot Pie from scratch. Aside from some confusion with the crust that arose (or lack thereof) from my inexperience it was a hit. I made it again the next week and got the crust right and decided its time for my pepper/chili kick to be over and start a new one.

Casserole.

My first was a turkey tettrazini with leftover thanksgiving bird. Instant hit. But tonight was even better.
Back story.

Katie wanted some chicken for lunch but was unwilling to wait wile it baked so she 'suggested' I cook it in a pan. We longs don't have muck experience frying things. We can grill a shoe and make it taste good but frying just ain't us. But I gave it a try anyway. Three chicken breasts, some olive oil, salt and pepper, lots of splatter, 15 minutes later there was some decent fried chicken. There was also a pan with a wee bit of oil and lots of tasty brown bits. Hummmm. I couldn't waste such a pan full of flavor. I added some butter and more oil and simmered five cloves of minced garlic (I love some garlic). Then I added about a quarter cup of whole wheat flour and stirred it up to get an ugly thick paste. Last went in some milk and chicken broth from Trader Joe's. Then I stirred and simmered till creamy. Now at this point I didn't exactly know what I was going to do with this cream sauce I had just created, so into the fridge it went with the two uneaten pieces of chicken
Tonight all I did to make the final casserole was to chop up the remaining chicken, cook some spaghetti, stir fry a diced green pepper, open some peas, grate some Parmesan cheese, mix it all together, bake it for half an hour, and eat. Next time I'll cover it so the top doesn't get so crunchy.

D

2 comments:

drewandkatie said...

I can attest that all the mentioned creations were in fact, delicious. However, in the Lipsett family the type of chicken he made on the stove would not be called "fried" as implied in this posting. There was no crust thus it was a simple sauteed chicken despite the use of oil and despite the splatterings mentioned. Now that I too am a Long, I also will expect to learn how to grill a shoe soon. If the lesson goes well I'll show you how to actually fry a chicken. :)

K

Petersrole said...

Thank you for clarifying about the sauteing vs. frying. I thought fried chicken in a casserole was a touch odd, though not necessarily something I would discount entirely.

You need to come visit again so you can make this for us.